Monday, July 19, 2010

Vacations and poker don't mix

This was a rough weekend overall. We had a family reunion this weekend about 3 hours away, which really isn't a big deal, but everything getting up to that point is why vacations and trips are so hard. I have fond and wistful memories of packing a bag in 10 minutes and being out the door. Now it takes half a day to get everything together and get the house ready for the long absence (ya know, 2 days). So Friday I managed to squeeze in poker. I played 25NL for about 10 minutes, but I was having some serious issues with HEM. While I was trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with it (cause you know it didn't even occur to me that I should drop down to 5NL until I fix the damn program) I won 2 buy ins. While I was happey to have won, I really hate playing without reads. It's all nit/steal/fold to any one raising without a set, just because I know everyone is so tight.

After about 10 minutes of doing this I have to hold the baby. At this point it occurs to me that I should drop down while I figure out what the hell is going on. So I do that and figure out that of the 4 tables I can open (what the hell is up with this? I thought you could open 8?) 1 has no stats, 1 has never changing stats that seem to be in binary code for the players names, and 2 tables were working properly. So I keep playing 5NL while holding Dom just to get some points, and then I get about a half hour window where I can play. Of course I played fast as hell to get the points. Put on a pure nit clinic, get my points, and out the door.

The next day was similar. I spent most of the day with the family, but I snuck off and played for about 20 minutes. Then we went home and had a couple of freinds come over. I appologized and played more speed poker. Yeah, I know its rush, but I like to take my time, and this is 2 days in a row where I am playing much faster than I want to. Get my points, shut it down, and proceed to get wasted and stay up all night.

By Sunday night I was exahsted, so I decided that grab some beer and fire up 10NL and just get the points in. I didn't play super fast this time, but I didn't play slow either. I did, however, play like crap. Some of the worst poker I have ever played. But I was so tired at the time that I can't remember any hands, which has never happened to me before. Still, I won $15 and got my points in, so I met my goals!


So, after a long weekend I wound up winning 2 buy ins at 25NL (still haven't completely recovered from that 9 buy in down swing, but I am getting pretty close), padded my winnings at 10NL (now that I know how to adjust to the player pool, I can't imagine how I donked off so many stacks initially) and made my RUSH week bonus. Overall, it was a very successfull weekend. And I hope I never have to go through it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment