Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Speed rush?

Last night was crazy busy. My oldest daughter had her last softball game, followed by a pool party. So I get home from work and jump straight in the station wagon with the kids and off to the game. We go to the pool party, and then go get some formula for the kiddies. By the time we get home, unpack the car, and get the dogs outside, I have an hour and need to get those 100 FTP points for rush week. I fire up 2 tables, and of course the HUD is only working on 1. I close the second and restart. I get two running and have to try 3 times to get the third working. About 15 minutes in I realize that 3 won't get it done. So I fire up a forth table. Now I am playing 4 tables of rush (never done that before) cascaded so I can't see the action (never done that at rush before) at a limit that has been giving me difficulties and I can't close out the tables when I get up to 150BB (this is standard for me as I am not overly comfortable deep - and really it is mostly the good players who are deep) and I am trying to play fast to get those damn points.

This is not a good recipie!

Or is it? I wound up playing really tight for me (9/12, 2.6% 3 bet) but I also had my best session of 25NL (not monitarily, but play wise). I only had 3 situations all night that I wasn't sure of, I made a lot of good lay downs and thin value bets, and really felt confident for the first time. In doing my session review I only found 1 mistake, which might not be a mistake. I need to get some stove time to figure it out though.

Looking back at it, I think not being able to think about anything other than the decision in front of me was the best medicine for my RUSH blues. No worrying about suck outs, traps, or FPS. Overall I picked up a little over a buy in, so I am now down about 5 buy ins at 25NL rush. I am hoping that this level is much like 10NL where I lost a ton in the beginning and then figured out what works and went on a pretty solid tear.

Oh, and Mpethy, I don't like you any more. I was perfectly happy in my blissfully ignorant world believing that that all in EV stat was flawed and good players always low. But no, you had to burst that bubble wide open, so now everytime I look at that stat I want to club a baby seal. Yeah, 800 hands, and 1 buy in below EV again, and don't even ask how far below EV I am for the month. Thanks to Happy Pixel, Kurt, EN09, DDAWD, and a few others I'm feeling OK (or at least no poker suicidal) over my downswing and below EV swing, but damn poker gods, when you gonna let me get even on that damn EV thing? It's only been 18 months now!

2 comments:

  1. "all in EV stat was flawed and good players always low" - can you explain what you mean? I use HEM's EV stat and have NO CLUE how it works. It always feels like when I run bad, I'm not nearly as negative EV as I would expect and vice versa. Also, on my graph page, it seems that my AIEV line moves far more than I would expect, lending me to believe that AIEV is calculating something more than simply "all in" expected value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All in EV is calculated based on the last bet of an all in pot. So if you get 99% in ahead and call a river bet dead, EV will calculates the EV for the whole hand as if you had 0% equity. Pretty wierd messed up stat, but there was a thread about it and Mpethy said that in his analysis players generally run about even. Kinda killed me cause I have been way under for 13 out of 15 months so far.

    ReplyDelete