Friday, July 9, 2010

Tilt went down, so I started something new

So, by the time I got around to playing poker last night, Tilt was down. This left me with my Stars account which is pretty much empty. A few months ago I got into a pretty interesting debate with King Spew stating that I think 40BB's is a horrible stack size as it creates a lot of awkward stack to pot ratio's. He made a lot of points that made me reevaluate my opnions. I had largely forgotten about this until I saw Mpethy and Kurt talking about there win rates with various stack sizes and how their win rates with 40BB's is pretty much the same as their win rate with 100. This really intrigued me, as I hadn't got to actual win rates with King Spew.

Well, I decided that I would go ahead and work with 40BB stacks on my stars account. I had to make a few adjustments. First, I adjusted my bank roll requirements to 40. I think the variance will be about the same in terms over overall BB, but it should be much higher regarding actual buy ins. The second adjustment is to run tighter, close to nit stats. I also think that TN will be required as you will have to table hop constantly. I was able to run 13 tables without TN, but I don't have the patience or desire to spend overly long at 2NL - 10NL again.

Now, for the potential benefits. First, moving up will be faster. Instead of needing to win 2000BB to move up (per my usual win 20 buy ins), even with 40 buy ins you only 1600BB. Second, it creates a stack size that most players aren't comfortable with. Third, bonus money will have a MUCH bigger impact. With rake back I win a free buy in every 5K hands. Well, with this stack, it will be a free buy in every 2K hands. And finally, If I can make the same amount of money overall but risk less money to make it, well, why not give it a shot?

So, my plan is to use the MR a lot as it will keep a decent SPR and put villans in awkward situations. This won't really come into effect at 2NL as players are so bad, but that's fine. Just means I will move up faster. I only got to play for about 40 minutes last night (and man did I forget how much of a pain it is to sit in and out of tables) but I won 2 buy ins. In reality it probably won't make a difference, as between Iron Man/rakeback/developing a database for Mpethy to look at I won't ever actually get around to playing at stars for another couple of months, but it never hurts to explore new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment