Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Digging, blowing stuff up fighting and poker, oh my

So I got home yesterday and started digging. Got done, took a shower and ate dinner. Took the kids to the fire works stand and blew sfuff up. So it's now 10:20 and I am trying to play rush while feeding and rocking a baby who really doesn't want to go to sleep even though he's dead tired. And my fiance starts talking to me about something. That obviously didn't go well for me, as now I am rocking a crying baby, playing poker and getting yelled at because I don't need to use that tone of voice with her. So of course I go off, as I am tired from working all day then digging, stressed from dealing with a fussy baby and trying to get some hands in so I can get the iron man bonus. She is a very smart woman most of the time, but for some reason she just doesn't understand that I can't have in depth conversations while playing poker.

On the other hand, I wound up winning 2 and a half buy ins, which puts my on a rather nice upswing since I stopped all the FPS crap. I think I screwed up in 2 spots, 1 in calling a large river bet when a flush completed and another in bluffing 2 streets (although it worked). I feel really good about the session because I only got paid off on one monster (more to come on that later). Most of the money came from catching shorties bluffing with mid pocket pairs or overcards. I also started trying some new lines. After all, why am I c-betting a dry flop with an overpair against a player who folds to a lot of C-bets again?

The session actually started out pretty crazy. I got 3 bet in 4 out of my first 6 opens, so I wound up playing a pretty tight post flop style last night. I was flatting a lot of my big pairs to opens and it worked out pretty well. Yeah, I had to dump KK once to an A high MW pot, but overall I made much more on my pocket pairs than I would have by 3 betting. Plus I got into a SWEET spot by flatting my AA. An overly LAG (but not aggro tard) player opened UTG. I flat this cause I think 3 betting gets to many folds and I think I can get 2 bets by flatting a lot of the time. So I start praying for a squeeze, which came. The initial raiser called, and I back raised. The squeezer shoved for 125BB, and suddenly I finally run my AA into someone elses KK. I probably would have gotten all the money anyway, but I really liked the play anyway. The victim probably thinks I am a donk, but I got the money.

I am probably going to try 25NL tonight as long as I'm not to tired, and start using 10NL as my tired/goofing around area. Hopefully this doesn't queue the doomswitch back on.

2 comments:

  1. I've been trying that tact in Rush too; flatting big PPs and trapping on later streets because I was finding far too often they would fold to 3- & 4-bets. I've since stopped playing it (ironically, my AA would inevitably run into flopped sets when I did that), but it seems like a logical way to go - particularly against opponents with high aggression factors who are likely to ship it with overpairs to an under flop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the down side is you have to be able to fold an overpair or call down with second pair depending on the situation, but I have been experimenting with new lines the last few days with my stronger hands, and I have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete