Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Catching up

Its been a while, so lets start with the real life stuff. Turned 34 last week, and had a great B-day. The girls were so damn cute, and I can't wait to use the water guns they got me. Got a tootsie pop t shirt for fathers day, which is good cause I am running low on good T-shirts. I think its part of my fiance's plan to replace all my snarky T-shirts with more father appropraite shirts (as if I would allow that to happen!) but who cares. I am the only person I know who has actually figured out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop - 176. And yes, guard duty in the desert is just that boring.

On the poker front, I am no longer playing rush. Well, I am playing 5NL when I don't want to think to work on FT academy. I had started the week doing OK, but then I had another spiral on Friday. Lost 4 buy ins. Most of it was just coolers, but so far I am never on the winning end of coolers in 10NL, and frankly, I can make a lot more money at the regular tables.

I watched a lot of video's last week, and their was something really interesting in a leakfinder vid. I have long been a proponent of high card value being much more important than suitedness and connectedness. In a leakfinder video of a 6 max nit, it really amazed me, but apparently nits are more likely to steal with SC's than with broadway cards, which is completely backwards when it comes to value. It kind of makes sense if you think about it. Nits are generally scared poker players, and the fear of domination gets them to fold mediium broadway hands. Which really makes some of my BVB hands make a little more sense.

And on my poker front, I had a pretty damn good weekend. After giving up on Rush, I moved back to the 25NL reg tables, and wow has my game changed in the last month. First, I changed my table selection. Due to my lack of hands at FT and being behind in note taking, I don't have many players marked. In the past I just went to tables with the highest VPIP. Now I am looking for tables with 3 players or more who have less than a full stack, and I had pretty damn good luck. I had a 4 buy in win session in 1K hands on the first day and a 1 1/2 buy in on another session of 1K hands. That doesn't sound that great, but considering I lost 3 stacks in coolers and my goal is 1 stack per 1K hands, I am more than happy with my results.

As for how my play has changed, I am now running 21/17 with a 5-7% 3 bet. It has been really strange to see good spots to 3 bet or squeeze light, and I have even successfully 4 bet bluffed a couple of times. I didn't get myself in trouble once this weekend running a bluff as I was able to cut my losses when the situation demanded it. It is such a chage from the last time I played 25NL in February, when I was pretty much a tag. The new style has more variance, but in much more frequent amounts and in smaller increments, so the overall effect is actually lower variance. I am winning at 3PTBB/100 over the last 7K hands, but this weekend it was closer to 12, which is astounding and probably unattainable. But hey, nothing beats running like crap at the lower limit and hot at the higher limit right?

No comments:

Post a Comment