Friday, June 11, 2010

10NL Rush is trying to crush my soul

So my fiance was sick last night, and we shipped the kids off to the grandparents for the night. I was going to play some 25NL, but by the time I got the computer fired up I was tired and the finals were going, so I decided to do rush instead. I really don't know what it is, but I started off the session dropping 2 buy ins. One of the stacks was questionable, I had TPTK on a mono board, and C-bet and the villan shoved all in. I probably should have folded, but I really thoght they had a worse A with a redraw, so I called. Nope. They had a set. The rest was just a slow leak as every time I got a hand I got folds, and every time I missed the flop they hit or made a move. I was able to win it all back, and wound up half a buy in, so at least I know I can beat it.

Perhaps this also illistrates another problem. I have been relatively spoiled for the last 6 months. Before I was moving up levels as my skills were increasing, so I was always learning new things against better compatition. But since loosing my bankroll and starting over at 2NL again meant that while I was improving my game, the compatition was not getting better. As such I had monster win rates and relatively low variance for a while now. Even 25NL seems much easier now than it did 6 months ago, although that might have more to do with good table selection and small sample sizes as much as improved skills. Any which way you look at it, 10NL is really trying my patience. I still like the rush format, and really think it is going to be a huge piece of the future, but so far it has been a pain.

So, enough with the whining. I sitll have a 2.5BB win rate over the last 2K hands, and without rakeback I am still making $10 an hour this month, which is a great confidence booster for the not so far off future where poker is going to be a part time job.

No comments:

Post a Comment