Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Different day, different results

Last night was one of those nights that just makes you smile. I played for maybe half an hour at the 25NL regular tables (you know, the ones I swore I would play as much as possible) last night and lost twenty bucks. Not really sweating the losses, as they were to cracked aces and TPTK against a 40BB stacker. Then the girls came home and Dom was fussy cause of a likely ear infection, so I switched back to 10NL rush just trying to get some iron man points. And I finally had a solid winning session. Won 2 and a half buy ins, which is pretty huge. I still ran like crap overall, but I did suck out once hitting a set against AA and I would up on the good side of a cooler. I don't feel bad about the cooler either. The player was a freaking idiot. We both had QJ and the flop came down T9K. I check raise the flop. Turn is an A giving me backdoor flush draw and I lead out. Dude flats my bet and I hit my flush on the river. So I bet pot again and the villan shoves. I have significantly reduced the number of hands I play, reduced the amount of C-betting (my success rate is in the low 30's), and I have started bluff catching a little more. Don't know if it will work in the long term, but it did last night. The one thing that continues to confound me is the massive overbet shoving. Still waiting to have a hand when I see it, but I saw it maybe a dozen times last night in various situations.

And I started watching the CR video series on rush. I haven't finished the first video yet, but its about time someone put an in depth look into this format. I am honestly suprised it took this long. The format is just to perfect for the casual player, and I think it will increase the ratio of fish to sharks as the sharks are really only playing 4 tables now instead of 16. So far I got some good tips. Seems like the best winners are all playing pretty TAG 12/10 styles. I ran 16/11 last night, so I cut down on some of my stealing. I also started using 3.5X opens most of the time. I am pretty firmly in the 3x open or 4/3/2.5 by position open camp, as I prefer a higher SPR and the ability to call 3 bets some of the time, but the point was made that why not bloat the size of the pot against the fish that are calling your raise with hands you often dominate. The extra value from fish will cover the loss of edge against worse regs. He also talked about the ability to fold big hands and how most regs are playing their monsters pretty face up. That would probably help, but I think I removed my fold button. Anyway, half a video in and I have already changed 2 aspects of my game. Can't wait to see all of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment