Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Weekend update

Well, this was an interesting weekend. Let's start with the good news. I did my stat review from Mpethy this weekend. We got started late because I had computer problems. He was very understanding and professional. He even stayed on longer than 2 hours, and seemed content to continue even longer, but I had to cut it off for family issues. I was rather amused when the first thing he said seeing my stats is man you run like crap. Apparently I have run so bad over the last 40K hands that it makes it difficult to do a solid stat analysis. We did however go over my stats, and he was able to show me a couple of area's where I can increase my aggression (mine is fairly low for a winning player). The basic summary is that I have a pretty solid game for 25NL. I need to increase my 3 betting (especially from the BTN and BB), I need to flat with my big hands more, I need to bet more on the turn in certain spots, and I need to fold on the river more. He pointed out two spedific area's where I am not betting and 1 specific area where I am not folding enough, which was worth the cost of the session in and of itself. I am not really sure what I missed, but I am hoping to get another review done, if only to see what other stats he goes over for a leak finder.

One thing I learned from the leak finder is that the more you C-bet the better success you will have. I had always thought it would be the other way around, as I attack players who C-bet to much significantly more than I do against players who don't. I know I have a Low C-bet % (around 50%), but even then my success rate around 50% as well. Apparently this is standard. Increasing your C-bet frequency increases your chances of success! I have played 2 sessions since then, and in the first one my success rate was under 40%, but in the second it was over 60%. I certainly trust Mpethy's insights in this area more than my own, so I am going to continue to C-bet at a higher percentage and see how it goes.

Of course, after the session, I played a 2K hand session and broke even. I was $40 below EV and made two really crappy calls on the rive that cost me another buy in. Over all this weekend I broke even. Sounds bad, but I was 6 buy ins below EV. So, if I had run statistiaclly even, it would have been a really good weekend for me.

Which brings me to a sad point. I have commited to pulling out $300 a month from poker to help support the family. I have enough to cover 1 more month, and with rakeback I will probably be able to make it 2, but if I don't start running better, I am probably going to have to have to drop down to 10NL. I am hoping it doesn't come to that, but being prepaired for the possability is better than denying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment