Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Disaster avoided?

Well, last night was a near train wreck. I started out messing with table ninja, which on one hand was great as it allowed me to stack tables and pop them out (which is something I really want to be able to do if I am going to play more than 10 tables at a time). I started out OK once I fired up the tables. I was up half a buy in and should have been up more. Then my fiance said dinner was ready, and I said I had about half an hour left. Insert karmic kick in the crotch. Yeah, I so should have just quit right then and there and had a nice dinner and evening with my girl.

I proceed to drop 4 buy ins. Lost one with KK vs. AA. Lost another due to some FPS with AQ when I should have won a medium pot. Lost another one with a flopped full house to quads. The other buy in was lost due to mostly bad play and improper adjustment to the tables. At this point I was determined that I was not going to repeat last month. I could stand a small loosing session, but no way I was going to sit on a 4 buy in looser. I yoyo'd for a bit, gaining 2 buy ins, loosing them. Then, in the span of about 2 minutes I flop top set and take down a 400BB pot against a whale who had decided to limp call, check call, donk 3bet AA and at another table I turned a straight against QQ and got another stack. At this point I was exstatic, and really ready to just give up for the day. I really considered only being down 1 buy in to be a victory. As it turned out, over the next 20 minutes I wound up taking down a bunch of small and medium pots, and actually wound up winning 5BB's!

What really killed me last month (outside of variance) were two sessions where I dropped 4 and 5 buy ins. Outside of those two sessions it was a really good month. But with them it was a disappointment to me. The last thing I want is to wind up having one or two sessions ruining this month to, especially after such a good start.
It would have actually been a good session if I would have just listened to my Fiance though. Stupid me.

On the plus side, I was able to contact Mpethy (actually, his assistant) and am in the process of setting up a leak finder review. I am MASSIVELY pumped about this. I have never attempted to use HEM to plug my leaks, so learning how to do it from a pro is well worth the money. The down side is that I thought I had a few more hands than I actually do. I am going to have to find a way to get in 7K hands before the session. Motivation, right?

4 comments:

  1. How much is an Mpethy review? I'm curious about coaching but scared to actually proceed. I have classic "analysis paralysis." Can you write a post on coaching / Mpethy?

    TIA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I will definately write a review of the process after I do it (on the 14th), but I can give you some information now. The cost is $75 if you play 25NL and $125 if you play 50NL. You need a minimum of 40K hands. It isn't a traditional coaching session. He spends about 2 hours going over your HEM using filters to find you biggest leaks. Basically, for a 1 time cost he will spend 2 hours not only showing you what your biggest mistakes are, but also showing you how to use HEM/PT3 to do it yourself. If you go to his coaching thread, a lot of posters I trust say that the session increased their win rate by 1-2BB/100 instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How'd you get in contact with Mpethy? Is there an email? I have been considering coaching for some time now; was talking with SplitSuit awhile back - but in my mind, a DB analysis seems like the best start for the money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check the 2P2 coach thread. IM him and his assitant will contact you.

    As an aside, I only had 1 session with split before I lost my bankroll, and it was pretty good. If you can afford him, I would recommend him as a coach.

    ReplyDelete