Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Weekend update

Well, this was a good weekend for me. Started out a bit rough when I dropped 80 on Thursday. I was really disappointed as 70 of it was at 50 in my backed shot. I really felt like I was just doomed to always lose at 50NL. The highlight was running QQ into quads on an AA6A board. Yup, that was the 3rd time in less than 10K hands that I ran into quads and paid them off.

Then Friday night came around and apparently my persistence was rewarded. Binked two 100 plus days, and last night I pulled in another 15 bucks. All that while running 70 ish below EV. I even managed to get up 3 and a half buy ins at 50 for the month. Here's hoping the doomswitch has been turned off. I still have a bit of MUBS there, but I'm getting better.

Starting to feel really confident though. So far this month I have 2 losing sessions (one 60 and one 90) while I have 3 sessions over 100 (and 2 over 150). This is a dramatic turn around from previous months, where my loosing sessions were much bigger than my winning sessions. Part of this is due to improvement, but a big shout out goes to El Nino for finding the key to my tilt. Missing value might not be as talked about as spew, but I have had a couple of sessions turn around this month when I closed my eyes and went for value despite the desire to get to take a lower variance route.

Which brings up a conundrum. El Nino is my coach. No doubt about that. While he hasn't transformed my game, he HAS improved it in so many ways and opened a bunch of doors for me. Much of my rather dramatic improvement can be directly attributed to him. But part of the stake I am getting is free coaching. If I had the time I would have no problem getting sessions from both. Nino's rates are retardedly reasonable compaired to the market for coaches. But for me, as always, it's an issue of time. I just can't afford to take 3 or 4 nights a month off of the tables. But I don't want to lose such a valuable resource.

And now some poker theory for you. Been noticing that a TON of players are instantly potting if you check as the PFA. I'm going to start taking notes on these players and start checking instead of C-betting in certain situations, to see how well that works out. Probably be pretty high variance, but I think there is a spot to increase EV that a lot of people are missing out on. I'm starting to think that with all of the aggression in today's game, you need to look for spots (and I don't mean all the time - but as the occasional curve ball) to take a passive line and hand out some rope. Going to be hard to get out of the value mentality and evaluate the situation before I throw out the value bet with TPTK. But I can't tell you how many times I was the insta pot bet when I checked as PFA.

No comments:

Post a Comment