Monday, March 21, 2011

Gearing up

Well, the last few days haven't been so great. I had my worst session in a couple of months, and followed that up with getting RSV (basically a nasty cold) along with all 3 of the kids, and took my longest poker break in about 6 months, all of 3 days. But between the long break and no longer actually working at work, I have felt really off for the last couple of days. It's one thing to not be working when on vacation, but having 3 days where I was essentially not working just kills me. I feel like a lazy bum.

Anyway, I got back to the grind somewhat last night. I cut my session short when I felt my head getting fuzzy, but until that point I think I played one of my best sessions in a long while. I won 3 buy ins in around 800 hands, but it was all off of small and medium pots. I was playing PITA and picking up a ton of pots, and picked a lot of really good spots. I aslo actually hit a draw, although I didn't get paid off well as I couldn't push a thin edge on the river due to poor play by the villan. Of course, his poor play let me get there, so I can't really complain.

Anyway, I think one of the things I have gotten away from with my improved table selection is trying to improve my game against regs. I think I have been playing a little to fit/fold and not taking high variance lines because I don't need them to be profitable. But not taking them is passing up plus EV spots and also makes me easier to play against. It is also a bit of a "scared money" type thing. I think I am getting more comfortable at 50NL and am more comfortable making mistakes. Anyway, it felt really good to follow up a disaster session with one of those sessions that make you feel like you are king of the world. Honestly, it felt better than a week ago when I had my biggest winning session ever.

So, of course that means tonight I will push thin spots a little to hard and all that. But learning poker is a pendulum. Finding that perfect balance.

On a side note, I watched inception (overrated, but good), Red (perfectly done ubsurd action comedy) and Scott Pilgram (the first half hour or so was bland with spots of brilliance and the rest was pretty damn good stuff). One plus side to a sick house is quality time with the family I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment