Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bet Sizing

Well, last night was one of those nights where I really wasn't into playing. So of course I fired up a couple of 50NL tables to take a shot and 4-6 25 tables to make some money. 50 didn't go so well, mostly because I double barreled a hand and lost a flip, but I wound up making 5 bucks or so.

25 was crazy good though. Made about 65 there. I basically avoided all pots where I wasn't willing to play a big pot or I wasn't driving the action. Worked out pretty well. I definately need to spend some time reviewing some of the thin value spots where I'm not driving the action. Might be a leak there.

Anyway, I have long been a proponent of smaller bet sizes. The basic thought process was I have the better starting range and post flop skills, so making smaller bets to take chunks out of the villan is better. I have been moving away from this, starting to put in bigger bets in a lot of spots, double barreling instead of going for the check back river bet, and really pushing with bigger raises post flop. I'm seeing more folds than I am used to overall, but I am also winning bigger pots and experiencing less variance. It also has the effect of forcing me out of my particular brand of tilt.

Last night also put me back on pace for a 1K month. It's still hard to believe how much poker has come together over the last couple of months. Going to be experimenting with some set ups over the weekend, but I'm thinking of running 8-10 tables on tilt till I get my iron man points and then running 24 at stars. It'll probably run around $150 to get that all set up, but I can do a couple week trial run for around 10 bucks. I've been wanting to get some volume on both sites anyway, as I think getting the bonus money on both sites is more optimal than grinding extra hands at one site in spots where I'm not making bonus money.

No comments:

Post a Comment